Policy administration related to COVID-19
Please note: Given the fluid nature of this situation, these questions and responses are reflective of a current point in time and may evolve as necessary. Should you have additional questions or need additional detail, please reach out to your Lincoln sales or service contact.
We are focused on making it easy to do business with us.
You can access your policy information 24/7 by logging in to your online account.
Our Customer Care Center is here to serve you from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern, Monday through Friday, at 800-487-1485.
Currently, we do not anticipate any impact to our individual life insurance hours of operation or service processing time.
We have a robust crisis management plan in place and are fully prepared from a business continuity perspective, while keeping the health and safety of our employees as a top priority.
We’re committed to supporting customers who are impacted by COVID-19, including making special adjustments to normal business processes. We are closely monitoring state/federal guidelines and adhering as appropriate.
If you need assistance with your individual life insurance policy, please contact us at 800-487-1485. We will review each situation on a case-by-case basis.
We will work with those impacted to ensure they have the coverage they need.
If you need additional time to make your payment during the COVID-19 impact period, please contact us at 800-487-1485 to discuss your situation.
If your policy lapses during this time, upon your request and in accordance with state guidelines, Lincoln will review an exception to reinstate coverage without requiring any evidence of insurability. All required premium due will need to be remitted for reinstatement consideration.
There are several options on how to make a premium payment other than by check:
- Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) – please contact us to set-up an EFT payment
- Online – through your personal bank account’s online payment portal
- Wire – please contact us to establish a wire transfer
- Phone – payments are accepted over the phone in certain circumstances.
For assistance please contact us at 800-487-1485.
Please contact us at 800-487-1485 to request an expedited disbursement due to financial hardship related to COVID-19.
Our individual annuity and life policies do not contain exclusions related to any specific disease or a pandemic. If a claim is received where a death occurred due to COVID-19, it will be paid in accordance with our normal procedures, subject to our standard contestability provisions. We remain committed to paying death claims as quickly as possible.
If you need to file a death claim you may do so either online, by clicking here, or contact us at 800-487-1485.
The District of Columbia Department of Insurance directs all insurers to make reasonable accommodations for policyholders during the Public Health Emergency, including:
- Waiving installment, late payment, or reinstatement fees;
- Extending billing due dates and premium grace periods;
- Ensure that late payments during the emergency are not considered in any future premium calculations at any time;
- Making District policyholders aware of the accommodations available;
- Providing ready access for policyholders to apply for such accommodations, online, by mail, and telephonically; and
- Providing an option to use electronic payment technology through a website, a software application or electronic bank transfers, when possible.
Recently, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy signed an Executive Order (Order) that impacts life insurance policies and annuities issued in New Jersey for those policyholders who have experienced a financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance also issued a bulletin (Bulletin) that provides further guidance on this issue. The Order became effective April 9, 2020.
In accordance with the Order and Bulletin, Lincoln will provide our customers who may be experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19 with the following:
- Policyholders or certificate holders who may be experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19 will be provided a 90-day emergency grace period to pay life insurance premiums so that insurance policies are not cancelled for nonpayment of premium during this challenging time;
- This emergency grace period is available to all policyholders whose policies were in force and not in the grace period as of March 1, 2020;
- During the 90-day period, Lincoln will waive late payment fees otherwise due, including any interest permitted, and not report late payments to credit rating agencies;
- Allow premiums due but not paid during the 90-day period to be paid over the course of the following year in up to 12 equal installments; and
- Extend to 90 days the period to exercise policyholder and contract holder rights and benefits under life insurance and annuity contracts.
- The extended grace periods described above shall apply to policyholders with life insurance policies that were in an active or lapse pending status as of March 1, 2020.
- This grace period is not intended to change the terms of your policy or to be a forgiveness or waiver of the premium. Rather, it is intended to provide you with an extended grace period for the payment of premium due without penalty or interest.
If you are experiencing a financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 and would like to discuss alternative payment arrangements or need additional time to exercise other rights identified in your policy, please contact us at 800-487-1485.
1Policy(ies) are sometimes referred to as Certificate(s).
The New York regulation is effective 3/30/2020 through 4/28/2020, unless extended. During this timeframe, the regulation extends the premium payment grace period to 90 days as specified in your life insurance policy, for any policyholder who demonstrates financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you do not make a timely premium payment and can demonstrate financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we may not impose any late fees relating to the premium payment or report you to a credit reporting agency or a debt collection agency regarding such premium payment. The New York regulation also allows you to repay any back premium over a 12-month period of time if you are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and can demonstrate a financial hardship. This also applies if Lincoln sent the policyholder a nonpayment cancellation notice prior to March 29, 2020.
If you are unable to make a timely premium payment due to financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may submit to us a statement that you swear or affirm in writing that you are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which we will accept as satisfactory proof. Such statement need not be notarized.
If you would like to discuss repayment arrangements, please contact us at 800-487-1485.
The New York regulation also provides policyholders with 90 days to exercise other rights or benefits under a life insurance policy or annuity contract.
If you need additional time to exercise other rights identified in your policy/contract during the COVID-19 impact period, please contact us at 800-487-1485.